Sri Lankan cuisine is known for its spicy and flavorful dishes. If you're looking to try some traditional Sri Lankan dishes, here are a few must-try options:
1. Egg hoppers They are small, bowl-shaped pancakes made from a fermented batter of rice flour and coconut milk. They are traditionally served hot, often with a fried egg in the center, and are typically eaten for breakfast or as a snack.
2. Sambol Sambol is a type of condiment or relish that is popular in Sri Lanka. It is made from a blend of ground coconut, chili peppers, and other spices, and is often used as a topping or dip for a variety of dishes.
3. Kottu roti It is made by shredding roti (a type of flatbread) into small pieces and then stir-frying them with a variety of vegetables, meats, and spices. The dish is typically made on a large griddle using a pair of metal spatulas or cleavers to chop and mix the ingredients.
4. Sour fish curry Sour fish curry is a popular dish in Sri Lanka that is made with fish, coconut milk, and a variety of aromatic spices. The dish gets its sour flavor from the addition of tamarind, which is a common ingredient in Sri Lankan cuisine.
5. Watalappan Watalappan is a traditional Sri Lankan dessert that is made with coconut milk, jaggery (a type of unrefined sugar), and a variety of aromatic spices. The dessert is similar to a custard, and it is often flavored with cardamom, nutmeg, and vanilla.